Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Successful Yoga Trial

Last June, I read Wayne Dyer's book, Excuses Begone! and decided to take him up on his challenge. He provides the following pitch for yoga: "Yoga is the control of the ideas in the mind. Control your mind, and everything will fall in place. Give yoga an honest 30-day trial. Notice how your body feels better all over, and your inclination towards excuses dissipates as well."

I was skeptical, but I had to admit that I had not given yoga a fair trial. I had lasted at most three sessions. So, last year I took advantage of a summer special offered at Living Yoga and Health in downtown Guelph. I decided to attend 3-4 classes a week and see how I felt at the end of the summer. I was hooked after the first week.

Yoga has become a part of my weekly routine and my life has changed in the last ten months. I have become a more mindful eater and have lost weight. I can actually feel myself growing healthier and stronger with each stretch, breath, and positive thought. I still have a number of personal and family challenges, but I am less reactive and more inclined to let things go.

It has been said that some do yoga for fun, some for exercise, and others to help conquer personal battles. In my case, ditto for all three!

No comments:

Post a Comment